Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"As I Wake" by Elizabeth Scott

As I Wake"As I Wake" had the potential to be such a great book. First the Cover - It is unforgettable, bold and does exactly what it should - it makes you want to read the book. Next, the Book Synopsis on the inner cover flap (what do they call this by the way?) - Sounds interesting. It definitely caught my attention and made me want to read the book. "Ava wakes up in a house she doesn't know, into a life she doesn't recognize. Recently released from the hospital, she is welcomed home by a devoted mother, loyal friends, and a crush finally beginning to show interest... but everyone is a stranger. Ava can't remember any of them, and can't shake the strange feeling that she's not who they say she is." Sounds interesting right? I know.

Okay so let's keep going, The Beginning - Loved it! It had me hooked right from the start. It's exciting and mysterious and makes me want to keep reading. Let's talk about the Writing Style - It's kind of choppy and to the point with no fluff, yet kind of confusing at the same time. But I like it because it makes me relate to the frustration that Ava is feeling. It goes well with the plot line. Sadly though, it is right at about this point that everything starts to go south for me. I get to chapter three (yes that quickly and trust me they are short chapters) and already I'm starting to get confused and lost and find that I'm having to go back and reread parts to try to understand what's happening, but I keep reading hoping that things will make more sense as I read further. But they don't I just keep getting more and more confused, and the writing style that was clever in the beginning is now becoming annoying.

The characters too had the potential to be so interesting. Unfortunately there are too many versions of the secondary characters that we are left feeling disconnected and it's impossible to bond with the main characters because there is just so much confusion going on.

I finish the book because I hate to start a book and not finish it and I always hold out hope that things could change for the better. In this case I have to say that again the ending had potential there is a twist and I actually think it could have been a very good one. There was just too much going on. It's almost like this book is trying to be too many things - psychological thriller, romantic mystery, but then there is this whole paranormal, time travel, alter-universe type thing also trying to go on at the same time that is just too much. It just doesn't work. I give it three stars*** for the potential it had. :o(


didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment