Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"A Little Wanting Song" by Cath Crowley

A Little Wanting SongAfter reading "Graffiti Moon" by Cath Crowley I had to read her other books so I've started with "A Little Wanting Song." I gave "Graffiti Moon" 5 Big Stars and if I could I would give even more to this book. It is that good.

Two girls, Charlie and Rose as opposite as day and night, alternate the narration from chapter to chapter. Charlie is a city girl who is still trying to deal with the death of her mother. Mostly she accomplishes this by hearing her dead mother's voice in her head.  She and her father spend their summer holidays in the country. Charlie is a talented musician and singer but is too shy to play or sing in front of anyone but herself.

Rose has lived her entire life in the "drink and toilet stop capital of the world" a small Australian country town and all she wants more than anything else is to leave it and go to the big city. Rose is a girl that 'doesn't follow the rules.' She is outspoken and larger than life. She has grown up with two boys for best friends, Dave and Luke, who are both wonderfully in-depth characters that are worth reading the book for all on their own.

I love love love Cath Crowley's writing and her characters are so real it feels like they could walk right off the page. Actually there is so much about this book that I love... the witty banter between the characters, the music, Charlie's ghost mom and the wonderfully magic story behind it all.  This book will top my "all time favourite books" list. I give it 5 MEGA STARS.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)  

No comments:

Post a Comment