Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"The Sleepwalkers" by J. Gabriel Gates

The SleepwalkersWARNING: You should sit with your back to the wall when you read this book as you never know what might be lurking in the dark behind you. Seriously this is one eery book.

Caleb Mason has just graduated from high school when he receives a "mysterious, disturbing" letter from his long-lost childhood playmate, Christine. Caleb talks his best friend Bean into accompanying him to visit his old hometown of Hudsonville, Florida to find Christine. What they find when they arrive there is even more mysterious and disturbing.

This book by J. Gabriel Gates is definitely more for the older YA reader. I liked that this book was not your typical YA book that is being mass produced right now by every writer (vampires, werewolves and every other paranormal creature possible.) This is a dark horror story aimed at getting your heart racing and your fingers speed turning the pages and as much as I believe that it does accomplish this - I also found I was disappointed at parts. I found the beginning read more like a script for a play than a story and though it was refreshing it also kept the reader at a distance. I found that the main characters with the exception of Bean lacked depth. I never felt that a real connection was ever made between Christine and Caleb. They did so many things that I found myself shaking my head and asking why??? Why don't they just leave? Why are they going there? Why are they doing that? Why? Why? Why? and by the end of the book I never found out why. Finally I really don't like when there are no parameters - ie. the bad guy in this book can do anything at anytime to anybody it seems so how then does anyone have a chance against him? Bottom line - I just don't usually like books that are so dark and eery and devil-related.

Because of all of the above I am giving this three stars. I still believe that those of you who like an action-packed thriller - you will probably like this book.

didn't like it it was ok liked it (my current rating) really liked it it was amazing  

No comments:

Post a Comment