Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Dark Inside" by Jeyn Roberts

Dark InsideLately I have enjoyed reading apocalyptic/dystopian type books. So when I saw "Dark Inside" by Jeyn Roberts at my local bookstore, I had to pick it up. I'm so glad I did. The first thing I noticed was the wonderful cover and then after reading the back cover and the inside flap I was hooked. I love that this book is written by a fellow Canadian because it is so good.

Right from the first page it grabs the reader and takes them on a dark, creepy journey into a bleak yet eerily possible future world where devastating earthquakes are only the beginning. "An ancient evil has been unleashed, and it's turning friends into murderous strangers." The story follows four different teens - Mason, Aries, Clementine and Michael as they all struggle to stay alive. And then interestingly enough there is a fifth mysterious character known only as 'Nothing' and unlike the other four main characters,  this character's point of view is written in first person, which is very effective in stepping up the creep factor. The fact that 'Nothing' seems to know why things are happening and what is going to happen next only adds to the mystery.

Roberts is a wizard at weaving the secondary story lines into the fabric of the main plot. She paints a stark terrifying world filled with destruction and violence and she pulls no punches. With lots of action, adventure and even a hint of romance Roberts keeps the reader tearing through the pages at an alarming rate. When the end comes and the book is closed .. if you are like me, you will want more. You will need more.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)

No comments:

Post a Comment