Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"The Pledge" by Kimberly Derting

"The Pledge" by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)Ok I have to start by saying that I was totally attracted to this book because of the beautiful cover. Yes I know you cannot judge a book by it's cover but thankfully I enjoyed the book as much as I loved the cover. Dytopian reads have become my favourite genre and this was no exception. I love it when an author can build a whole new believable yet wildly imaginitive different world. The Pledge was just that - darkly original, an adventure to the last page.

Imagine a violent, repressed world where your social standing determines what language you will speak. Anyone of a lower rank cannot understand the language of someone ranked higher and so must bow their heads and lower their eyes out of respect. If you are caught not bowing your head it could mean your life. Now enter the main character seventeen-year-old Charlie (short for Charlaina) who strangely enough can understand every language of all classes. She and her family spend their lives trying to hide her secret.

When Charlie accompanies her best friend Brooklyn to a "drug-fueled underground club" she meets Max who speaks a language she has never heard before. Max takes an immediate interest in Charlie and she must figure out why and where his real loyalties lie. Charlie learns that their is a resistance building with plans to fight the deadly regime in power. All Charlie wants to do is keep her baby sister Angelina safe.

The plot is just different enough and intriguing enough to capture the reader from the first page. The main characters are strong and have exceptional depth. I have to say though that I think Charlie's good friend Aaron is one character that gets lost in the story. He definitely gets the raw end of the stick and in my opinion Charlie does not show enough emotion that particular situation. The opposite end of the spectrum - I loved Charlie's little sister Angelina's character.

All in all I highly recommend this dystopian thriller and give it 5 stars.

didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing  

No comments:

Post a Comment